netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Geertjan Wielenga <geertjan.wiele...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Optional modules with GPL dependencies (was: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache)
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 15:41:43 GMT
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> IMO the "can Apache projects rely on components under prohibited
> licenses?" section of http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html applies,
> and the key question is then whether the external component's license
> terms affect the NetBeans product's licensing.

In the above reference, I see this: "For example, using a GPL'ed tool
during the build is OK."

That's the case of nb-javac in the context of the optional module provided
by the "java" cluster.

The core cluster, i.e., "platform" does not need the "java" cluster to
build.

The nb-javac libraries can be installed separately from NetBeans itself,
via the installer or a related update mechanism.

Gj