netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Geertjan Wielenga <geertjan.wiele...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Optional modules with GPL dependencies (was: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache)
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2016 23:13:02 GMT
Good question and unclear at this point what the solution should be.
Personally, wouldn't it be simplest to have one single download (certainly
simpler than the current situation) and then the installer asks which
languages/technologies you need? If, among others, Java is selected,
nb-javac (simply two JAR files, by the way, at the end of the day) would be
downloaded and installed.

I think the above would actually be a big improvement over the current
situation where there are multiple downloads.

Gj

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 12:05 AM, John McDonnell <mcdonnell.john@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So how do you see this going forward?
>
> Currently we have 6 download packages, will we have multiple ones when we
> Apache Netbeans is released?, or will we have 4 downloads (HTML+Javascript,
> PHP & C/C++, ALL), but the installer always gives the option to install
> Java?  As I think I could get behind that, provided we don’t forget to
> advertise that Java is a “first class citizen” in the Netbeans Ecosystem.
>

> Regards
>
> John
>

> > On 7 Nov 2016, at 22:56, Geertjan Wielenga <
> geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It would be a smooth process via the installer.
> >
> > Gj
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 11:43 PM, John Yeary <johnyeary@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> I agree with John.
> >>
> >> One of the things that I really find annoying about Eclipse is that you
> >> have all of these options, and as a new user it is a daunting task to
> pick
> >> what you need, or even KNOW what you need.
> >>
> >> If we start asking new users to go download modules to make it a
> functional
> >> IDE, it is a non-starter. The ease of use that NetBeans is known for
> >> suddenly is no longer.
> >>

> >> ____________________________
> >>
> >> John Yeary
> >> ____________________________
> >> *NetBeans Dream Team*
> >>
> >> *Founder Greenville Java Users GroupJava Users Groups Community Leader*
> >> ____________________________
> >>
> >> <http://javaevangelist.blogspot.com/>  <https://twitter.com/jyeary>
> >> <http://www.youtube.com/johnyeary>  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jyeary>
> >> <https://plus.google.com/112146428878473069965>
> >> <http://www.facebook.com/jyeary>
> >> <http://feeds.feedburner.com/JavaEvangelistJohnYearysBlog>
> >> <http://netbeans.org/people/84414-jyeary>
> >>
> >> "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
> >> though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits
> who
> >> neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray
> twilight
> >> that knows not victory nor defeat."
> >> -- Theodore Roosevelt
> >>
> >> On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 5:28 PM, John McDonnell <
> mcdonnell.john@gmail.com>

> move
> >> need

> >> seeing