netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Optional modules with GPL dependencies (was: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache)
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2016 13:58:27 GMT
On 2016-11-06 15:01 (-0500), Geertjan Wielenga
<geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote: > On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 4:59
PM, Ate Douma wrote:

> > Geertjan and others already clarified and are documenting the modularity of
> > NetBeans [2], with the core NetBeans platform being the only required part.
> > All other modules (or clusters) being optional.
> > So many users might not need the NetBeans Java cluster.
...snip...

As a non-regular NetBeans user, I have a clarifying question from a
*newcomers* perspective that I think will help on the "ASF code means no
licensing surprises" side.

1- If I want a great IDE where I can edit my C, JavaScript, PHP, HTML
and other non-Java code, and check it in, build it, etc. - can I
download NetBeans (plus perhaps some other modules) where *all* of the
source code I'm downloading is under a Category A license?

2- If I then want to use NetBeans to edit/build Java code, apparently
(as a new user) I need this nb-javac module from somewhere else which
lets NetBeans the product do "useful stuff" with Oracle's current Java,
correct?

Java developers today would understand that Oracle's Java platform -
which is widely known and used - has GPL related code in it, so they
should not be surprised when they have to go download nb-javac from
Oracle, nor should they be surprised when the sources for nb-javac are
also licensed under the GPL.  Does that make sense?

3- Java developers who want to use NetBeans + nb-javac to build their
own Apache-licensed Java programs for redistribution would never need to
worry about the GPL, because it would be clear as a Java programmer and
regular IDE user that the license of the IDE I'm using to write/build my
code doesn't affect the license I can use on the code I'm writing in
that IDE.  Correct?

If all three of those are "Yes", then I'm +1 for this solution and +1
for LEGAL-279.  The separation between Apache licensed Netbeans as an
IDE and the underlying tooling integration with the Java compiler
tooling using GPL seems clear, and given any experienced Java developer,
they would not be surprised to see the licensing difference.

4- If I want to extend the editing features in NetBeans for Java code
(which I think you call "Java cluster"?), can I use the Apache license
for patches and redistribution of the NetBeans editor code that displays
the UI, syntax coloring, etc. elements?  I.e. is the editor portion
going to be all Apache, and it's just the compiler (when tooling
integration sends code off to do bytecode) that is under GPL?

- Shane