netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <wadechand...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Optional modules with GPL dependencies (was: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache)
Date Sat, 05 Nov 2016 16:45:50 GMT
Perhaps specific threads can be created to discuss the Java and JavaScript support in NetBeans
(independently/maybe together). I think a big part of the question is what does Oracle think
about supporting nb-javac and graal.js if they are only used by NetBeans. I mean, is there
some long term support strategy there?

Is there some other answer to this question? Does the NB community have github specific projects
kept up by the community which are not donated to Apache which it depends upon which have
GNU+CPE licenses? Perhaps that is an interim solution where later it is replaced, or maybe
it is a long term thing… Either way, httpd has mod_perl, and other modules, which have unique
dependencies, and thus the first Apache project set similar precedent.

I think we can figure out what it means to support nb-javac and graal.js outside of the questions
related to “OpenJDK” or “Apache NetBeans” as long as we are clear on how dependencies
can be managed, and how we support our current community. Then separately figure out whether
there are interim and long term solutions to specific items. I don’t think either of those
concepts, even the one of core versus optional, keeps the majority of NetBeans being donated
to Apache per the items discussed in this thread.

Wade

> On Nov 5, 2016, at 12:22, Wade Chandler <wadechandler@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I think there is “what can be at Apache; source or built artifacts” and “what can
my platform application include in its final build; which isn’t at Apache; even if it uses
an Apache license” and “how can Apache NetBeans help me package my dependencies, per my
choices, regardless of Apache’s business and legal decisions for their own products/projects”.
I think these are inevitably going to be part of the concerns, and perhaps some of yours Neil;
if I’m off base, then fine. However, even if someone has based their product on the full
IDE, and not just the platform, I think we could design the project in such a way that dependencies
could be pre-bundled or not, depending on how things are built, but Apache never do the part
where the dependencies are “included” in an official Apache build. To me, that completely
satisfies the “resolved” page.