netbeans-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 15:06:10 GMT
On 2016-11-04 09:12, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 2:35 AM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
>> ...it is *possible* that the Java Editor itself
>> (not the nb-javac) can not be released under Apache License....
>
> I agree that it's hard to give a definite answer on this right now,
> the core issue is which NetBeans modules can be considered core and
> which ones optional - as the former cannot have dependencies with
> incompatible licenses as per http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html
>
> This will be clarified once NetBeans makes its first release, that's
> when we'll need to clearly define what's core and what's optional.
>
> Once the Incubator PMC votes and accepts that first release that's the
> official ASF decision on that classification and we can then move
> forward. In a top-level ASF project that decision would be made by the
> project's PMC, but for a podling the PPMC has no formal power to make
> such decisions.
>
> Until then, I don't think it's useful to discuss this in much more
> detail, before the code is here so that we can look at a potential
> release candidate and discuss the details on a concrete basis.

While I agree to a large extend, I'm wondering why this specific use-case
isn't already concrete enough to have ASF Legal make a concrete decision about?
The question, as I see it, being:

   Will the Apache NetBeans project be allowed to develop and release
   a (or more) optional module, the Java Editor module in casu, under the
   ASL 2.0 license at the ASF, which depends on external 3rd party module
   nb-javac which is available under the GPL v2 w/ CPE (Category X).
   End users willing to use the optional module will be required to provide
   the nb-javac module themselves during installation.

If ASF Legal can provide a formal response on the above question, I see
no reason to postpone this until a first NetBeans release.
And this would take away a lot (probably not all) uncertainties around this
potentially blocking hurdle.

Ate

>
> This core/optional classification is totally orthogonal with Oracle's
> selection of what to donate. We'll accept whatever Oracle donates, and
> then sort it out to decide what we can release or not.
>
> -Bertrand
>


Mime
View raw message