netbeans-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What to include/exclude in code donation to Apache
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2016 15:35:39 GMT

Le 03/11/16 à 15:31, Niclas Hedhman a écrit :
> Again, if the Java Editor depends on nb-javac (and not the other way
> around), the Java Editor needs clearance from VP Legal (who might need to
> seek advice from Legal Counsel), whether the Java Editor can be licensed as
> ALv2. I am not sure if there is a precedent in Apache before, but I have
> seen FSF express that the CPE is not compatible with GPL for dynamically
> linked languages. If the Java Editor will be deemed incompatible with ALv2,
> then that too would need to reside outside ASF, and what would that mean
> for overall credibility?
>
> "Netbeans - An Application Platform from Apache. With optional Add-ons for,
> among many others, editing Java applications..., available from third-party
> sources" doesn't rhyme well, does it?
> Is Apache Netbeans willing to ship a package that can not contain the
> central part of a Java IDE? I suspect not... and that is why Legal should
> be consulted.
Again, I don't think so. First because NetBeans is just a platform, and
second because who knows if a replacement for nb-javac, under a AL 2.0
license, will not be proposed in the next coming months ? But more
important, the reason we don't allow the inclusion of GPL/CPE code is
different.

The full idea is really to protect those who will repackage the source
to sell/release it on their own name, so that they can't be fooled :
they *know* what they are doing because they *have* to pull a third
party package under an AL 2.0 incompatible license. For end users, like
you ad me, this is really a no-brainer.