myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Gaertner, Stefan" <sgaert...@cgs-online.de>
Subject Licensing info for XSD files
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2020 14:16:05 GMT
Hello,

I've been tasked with looking into licensing for all FOSS components we use in our project
and can't really figure out the licensing information regarding some of the XSD files in MyFaces.

We are currently using MyFaces 2.2.12, but this still applies to the current version.

Both MyFaces API and impl contain "code from Facelets (https://facelets.dev.java.net/) for
the purpose of implementing Facelets PDL for JSF 2.0 support.".

See:
- https://github.com/apache/myfaces/blob/master/api/src/main/resources/META-INF/NOTICE.txt
- https://github.com/apache/myfaces/blob/master/api/src/main/resources/META-INF/licenses/facelets-LICENSE.txt

What files does this apply to?

My guess is that this refers to web-facelettaglibrary_2_0.xsd, which appears to be licensed
under Apache 2.0 and only contains a reference to the XSD file from Sun.

The impl also contains several XSD files that refer to XSD files from Sun.

See:
- https://github.com/apache/myfaces/tree/master/impl/src/main/resources/org/apache/myfaces/resource

Pre-2.2.10 there was a paragraph regarding the java_ee_x.xsd files in the NOTICE.txt.
"This product includes schema files developed for the Glassfish Java EE reference implementation
(http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/). [...]".
This has been removed in MYFACES-4024, but the files themselves still refer to the files from
Sun.
Some of the files seem to also have been typed in by hand to remove copyright restrictions
(see MYFACES-1582).

Are any of the XSD files still licensed under a different license than Apache 2.0?

Regards,

Stefan

CGS mbH
Consulting Gesellschaft für Systementwicklung mbH
Lange Str. 1
38100 Braunschweig
Mail info@cgs-online.de<mailto:info@cgs-online.de>
www.cgs-online.de