myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Chris Kulinski <chriskulin...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Issues using View Pooling - ViewScope is missing for static structure views?
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 01:04:57 GMT
We're testing the View Pooling features of MyFaces 2.2.x on a large pre-existing JSF site with
very complex and heavy views with lots of composite components.
The performance improvement is frankly amazing - we've gone from GC events every few seconds
under heavy load to virtually no GC events at all...   Kudos to Leonardo for building in
this feature!
We've encountered one specific issue - a NullPointerException when using oamEnableViewPool="false"
to disable pooling for specific views.  We've created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-3966 for
this issue.
We needed to disable pooling for certain views because we noticed issues with "static structure"
views when using ViewScope.  Our ViewScope beans are available in our controller code, but
are no longer available during the Render Response phase in our xhtml pages - via expression
language lookups.
   - On the very first request to the view (before its placed in the pool), the state is applied
correctly - but then every subsequent request to the pooled view doesn't have the correct
view state.

   - It looks like the view state hasn't been correctly applied on the view after its retrieved
from the pool.
Ways we've been able to work around this issue:
   - If we disable view pooling for these views, then the beans are correctly available in
ViewScope.

   - We don't see this issue on any of our "dynamic structure" views - in fact, if we convert
the static structure view to a dynamic structure view (via an extra ui:include with EL, etc),
then the view state is mapped correctly and the viewscope beans are available. There must
some pooling state restore logic that's missing from static structure logic?

Has anyone else seen this issue?  Or has anyone implemented view pooling with static and
dynamic structure views and view scope?
Thanks!Chris Kulinski