myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Dan Østerberg <...@ren.no>
Subject javax.faces.ViewState autocomplete
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 10:58:46 GMT
Hi,

We have a JSF application where we mainly use ViewScoped beans, and add no-cache headers for
all JSF pages. Navigating back to a previous page correctly recreates the beans, and renders
new HTML, with a new ViewState ID. But... some browsers "autocomplete" some of the hidden
ViewState inputs, overriding the new value with an old ViewState value. We have verified this
in the browser dev-tools by looking at the response, which is correct, and the resulting HTML
which is not.

In short, this is a known autocomplete issue, which Mojarra has fixed since 1.2, by adding
'autocomplete="off"' to the hidden ViewState input. Plus a context parameter "com.sun.faces.autoCompleteOffOnViewState"
for opting not to use it, since it results in invalid XHTML. Adding 'pa:autocomplete="off"'
explicitly to the whole form also fixes this issue. However, at least the MyFaces version
that we use (2.2.4) doesn't add this attribute, and doesn't seem to have any corresponding
configuration either. We also failed to google up alternatives/explanations for this issue
explicitly in MyFaces. Naturally, we would like to avoid javascript hacks and custom components
and renderers.

So the question is - are we missing something? Or should MyFaces be patched to simply render
'autocomplete="off"' for its hidden javax.faces.ViewState inputs?

Thanx,
Dan Østerberg