myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <>
Subject Re: Add 'Stateless JSF' to MyFaces Core? Is it really necessary?
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2013 16:47:32 GMT
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM, nabbling1138 <>wrote:

> It has everything to do with avoiding your users experiencing a ViewExpired
> state exception on a trivial form such as a login.

ViewExpiredExceptions are 'no' longer a concern of mine since I am using
OmniFaces restoreView component.

Also, for my home-grown/custom security-n-session-management
implementation, my login page access @SessionScoped userBean.login, but
since I've been hearing others advise to use @RequestScoped more than
@SessionScoped (as much as possible), I am considering changing my
implementation, so the login page will access @RequestScoped user bean
instead of @SessionScoped. I am quite sure that that will allow my login
page to sufficiently/theoretically avoid View Expired exception. I plan to
try this...when I feel like it, or have bandwidth to do so. :)

> It is non-intuitive for users to get errors (however you have handled them)
> on simple forms when they went to lunch and came back.

Agreed. Thank God for OmniFaces restoreView component!

> Example: Imagine going to your favorite shopping web site. You get
> interrupted and come back in 30 min - you go to run a search and you get
> redirected to a friendly but annoying web page or maybe they force you back
> to a page but you loose everything you typed. Awful customer experience!

Good point/example. I felt the same way while developing my current
security/session-management implementation (over time). My app is
definitely no 'shopping web site' and endusers of my app are very
understanding of a 15-minute-session-timeout limit for security purposes,
and I would 'only' assume shopping web sites would require/utilize
@RequestScoped beans anyway. Take for instance Google or search
engines... Google loves 'history' (and so do I), @RequestScoped bean
accepts the input of the enduser, and can update 'search history',
accordingly when user 'come back in 30 min' to his search page and press begin the search. :)

Surely, not rocket science.