myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Jon Bionda <jbio...@csdcsystems.com>
Subject Having a problem with MyFaces 2.1.10 (and 2.1.11) commandButton submit *AFTER* using <f:ajax> for partial page update
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2013 21:16:25 GMT
I am seeing the same problem in many parts of our application whenever there is an Ajax command
on the page.  This is part of a JSF 1.1 to JSF 2.1 migration.

The problem is that whenever an ajax call is made (say on dropdown selection) to update part
of the page, the next full submit (usually a Save function linked to a commandButton) just
causes a re-write of the page and does not hit the bean method specified on the commandButton's
action attribute (server breakpoint never triggered).   Hitting the Save button a second time
works, but obviously this is not acceptable.

I found that setting execute="@form" and render="@form" on the <f:ajax> setting gets
it to work on the first Save button press but we have hundreds of ajax calls in our pages
and doing that is not in the spirit of Ajax's "only send and update what you need" philosophy.
 It  would be much nicer to have it work as intended.

Note that in JSF 1.1 we used Richfaces a4j and although we are using the latest (4.3.1) version
in it the new project (and it has the same problem), I can easily reproduce the problem using
the built-in JSF 2's <f:ajax> so will keep the focus on native MyFaces.

I suspect I have missed something but am at a loss as to what it could be and now also at
what to try next.  I have traced the http data in both cases and they appear to be the same
so the question I have is how to determine why the submit code that just re-writes the screen
is deciding to do that instead of calling the bean's save function.  Hopefully the hint that
it works ok when the ajax execute and render attributes are set to "@form" will help someone
quickly identify the problem area or what I can do to identify it.

Here are the details of my environment if it helps.

Web.xml settings:
    javax.faces.STATE_SAVING_METHOD = server
    org.apache.myfaces.NUMBER_OF_VIEWS_IN_SESSION = 20
    org.apache.myfaces.SERIALIZE_STATE_IN_SESSION = false
    org.apache.myfaces.COMPRESS_STATE_IN_SESSION = true
    org.apache.myfaces.ALLOW_JAVASCRIPT = true
    org.apache.myfaces.DETECT_JAVASCRIPT = false
    org.apache.myfaces.PRETTY_HTML = true
    org.apache.myfaces.AUTO_SCROLL = false
    org.apache.myfaces.CHECK_EXTENSIONS_FILTER = false
    javax.faces.VALIDATE_EMPTY_FIELDS = false
    javax.faces.PROJECT_STAGE = Development

    // played with the following but inconsistent results
    javax.faces.PARTIAL_STATE_SAVING = true
    org.apache.myfaces.STRICT_JSF_2_REFRESH_TARGET_AJAX = false
    org.apache.myfaces.RENDER_VIEWSTATE_ID = true

We also use tomahawk and register the extension filter primarily for the file upload max file
size setting.

And we make use of templating to isolate the header, footer, left side menu and right-side
main content areas..  The right-side main content area is where a most of the work is done.
 Here is the start of most page parts for this area:

<!DOCTYPE html>
      xmlns:ui="http://java.sun.com/jsf/facelets"
      xmlns:h="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html"
      xmlns:f="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core"
      xmlns:t="http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk"
      xmlns:a4j="http://richfaces.org/a4j"
      xmlns:j4j="http://javascript4jsf.dev.java.net/"

<h:body>
<ui:composition>
	<h:outputScript library="js" name="manyToMany.js" />
<f:subview id="mappingView" >
	<h:form id="mappingForm" >
		<t:htmlTag value="center" >
			<t:div styleClass='formBorder'>

And here are two examples of command buttons with ajax, first has the problem and the second
does not - only difference is the execute and render values on the ajax calls.

	<h:commandButton styleClass="manyToManyButton"
		value="Add that causes submit to fail - note the execute and render values on ajax call"

		<f:ajax event="click" execute="mappedValuesGrid" render="mappedValuesGrid"
		        listener="#{myBean.actionAdd}" />
	</h:commandButton>

	<h:commandButton styleClass="manyToManyButton"
		value="Add that works - note the "@form" usage on ajax command >
		<f:ajax event="click" execute="@form" render="@form"
		        listener="#{myBean.actionAdd}"  />
	</h:commandButton>