myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Giri Prasad <g_p...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Jsf Hibernate problem in SelectOneList event
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:59:35 GMT
Couple of things I noticed:

1) action method is typically used for returning string for jsf navigation.
I have encounter weird issues sometimes with JSF when I use action method
as something else than a method called for custom logic with navigation.

Give ActionListener a try to see what happens.

2) Was the netbeans debugger used at all?? Try debugging the app and put
break points in each of the methods so that you can see what is happening.

3) Does session scoped have to be used?? Try using a limited scope such as
ViewScoped when you don't need to have session scoped objects.

Jim

---------------------------------
1. I have tried ActionListener as follows. with the rest of the code the same, as in my first
post:

                <h:selectOneListbox id="studentList" value="#{studBean.selectedItem}"

                                    onchange="submit()"
valueChangeListener="#{studBean.studentCodeChanged}" size="5" >
                    <f:selectItems value="#{studBean.studentList}" />

                </h:selectOneListbox>

On this scenario, after the list populates, when I select one entry from the list using the
mouse, the screen refresehes and the list goes empty. No backing bean function is called.

In this case, the function 'studentCodeChanged' should have been called. But when I press
<Detail> button the value of studentId is null;
    public void studentCodeChanged(ValueChangeEvent e){
        studentId = e.getNewValue().toString();
                System.out.println("studentId = "+studentId);
     }

2. I am extensively using only System.out.println in the backing bean functions. The glassfish
log shows my messages on all the conditions, except when selecting a entry from the list and
then the <Detail> button being pressed. As in the prev sentence, the glassfish entry
shows nothing.

3. I will try to limit the scope, but will this in any way help to find a solution to this
problem.

Thanks for your comments.

Regards,