myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Leonardo Uribe <lu4...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: myfaces slow startup on GAE
Date Thu, 24 May 2012 09:42:16 GMT
Hi

I think the implementation in MyFaces that parse faces-config.xml
files is fast enough, so there is no need to bother about that.

Instead I tried something more interesting. MyFaces provides an
interface that centralize all config information:

org.apache.myfaces.spi.FacesConfigurationMerger

It has just one method:

public abstract FacesConfigData getFacesConfigData(ExternalContext ectx);

This method consolidates all config information, including
faces-config.xml and annotations. The nice part is FacesConfigData is
Serializable, so it is very simple to use the datastore and save that
information there, and use a constant to indicate the version of the
config. Each time the app config changes (new beans, write something
on the db, ...) the developer just change the constant to another
value and in that way, it is possible to detect changes and update the
config. The first time the app is deployed will take a little bit
longer, but in future times, it will take less time, because all xml
and annotation scanning are skipped (note .taglib.xml parsing is still
done, in other place, but it has less overhead, so to control that you
still need to setup the first hack. I think it has sense to use two
params, one for .faces-config.xml/.taglib.xml and other for annotation
scanning).

Below there is the code (remember it works through SPI, so you need to
create a file on META-INF/services with name
org.apache.myfaces.spi.FacesConfigurationMerger and inside put the
class name of the wrapper) , I tried it and it works, but for a simple
helloworld app using the hack that prevents additional classloader
scanning, I don't see any improvement. But maybe for bigger
applications it has more sense, and can be an effective strategy.

The log shows:

2012-05-24 11:09:27.337 javax.servlet.ServletContext log:
Configuration found in DataStore, reading it
2012-05-24 11:09:27.540 javax.servlet.ServletContext log: Read
complete, returning

So it takes about 200 ms to load, which is very good.

Looking in deep, GAE spends most of the time in classloading. I think
this effect affects in the same way to any library you use, and
MyFaces only loads the classes it needs.

I hope this helps. Interesting topic.

regards,

Leonardo Uribe

/*
 * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
 * or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
 * distributed with this work for additional information
 * regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
 * to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
 * "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
 * with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
 *
 *   http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
 * Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
 * software distributed under the License is distributed on an
 * "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
 * KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
 * specific language governing permissions and limitations
 * under the License.
 */
package org.apache.myfaces.example.gae;

import com.google.appengine.api.datastore.*;

import org.apache.myfaces.spi.FacesConfigurationMerger;
import org.apache.myfaces.config.element.FacesConfigData;

import javax.faces.context.ExternalContext;
import java.io.*;
import java.util.List;

/**
 * Created with IntelliJ IDEA.
 * User: lu4242
 * Date: 24.05.12
 * Time: 09:15
 * To change this template use File | Settings | File Templates.
 */
public class GAEFacesConfigurationMerger extends FacesConfigurationMerger
{
    private static final long VERSION = 2L;

    private static final String VERSION_PROP = "version";
    private static final String CONFIGURATION_PROP = "configuration";

    private FacesConfigurationMerger delegate;

    public GAEFacesConfigurationMerger(FacesConfigurationMerger delegate)
    {
        this.delegate = delegate;
    }

    @Override
    public FacesConfigData getFacesConfigData(ExternalContext externalContext)
    {
        DatastoreService datastore =
                DatastoreServiceFactory.getDatastoreService();

        Key configKey =
KeyFactory.createKey("ApacheMyFacesConfiguration",
"ApacheMyFacesConfiguration");

        Query query = new Query("ApacheMyFacesConfiguration", configKey);
        Entity returnedConfig = datastore.prepare(query).asSingleEntity();

        Long storedVersion = (returnedConfig != null) ?
                (Long) returnedConfig.getProperty("version") : null;

        if (returnedConfig != null &&
            storedVersion != null && VERSION == storedVersion.longValue())
        {
            // Same config version, take the config from the datastore
            externalContext.log("Configuration found in DataStore, reading it");
            ByteArrayInputStream bais = null;
            ObjectInputStream ois = null;
            try
            {
                bais =new ByteArrayInputStream(

((Blob)returnedConfig.getProperty("configuration")).getBytes());
                ois = new ObjectInputStream(bais);
                FacesConfigData lve2 = (FacesConfigData) ois.readObject();
                externalContext.log("Read complete, returning");
                return lve2;
            }
            catch (IOException e)
            {
                //Ignore exception and load config parsing xml files
            }
            catch (ClassNotFoundException e)
            {
                //Ignore exception and load config parsing xml files
            }
            finally
            {
                if (ois != null)
                {
                    try
                    {
                        ois.close();
                    }
                    catch (IOException e)
                    {
                        //Ignore
                    }
                }
                if (bais != null)
                {
                    try
                    {
                        bais.close();
                    }
                    catch (IOException e)
                    {
                        //Ignore
                    }
                }
            }
            //Error occur
            externalContext.log("IOException, ignoring....");

        }
        else
        {
            //read it and store the config into the datastore
            FacesConfigData data = delegate.getFacesConfigData(externalContext);

            Entity entityConfig = (returnedConfig == null) ?
                    new Entity("ApacheMyFacesConfiguration", configKey) :
                    returnedConfig;
            entityConfig.setProperty("version", VERSION);

            ByteArrayOutputStream baos = null;
            ObjectOutputStream oos = null;
            try
            {
                baos = new ByteArrayOutputStream(32768);
                oos = new ObjectOutputStream(baos);
                oos.writeObject(data);
                oos.flush();
                baos.flush();
                Blob blobData = new Blob(baos.toByteArray());
                entityConfig.setProperty("configuration", blobData);

                //store the config in the data store
                datastore.put(entityConfig);
            }
            catch (IOException e)
            {
                //Ignore exception and load config parsing xml files
            }
            finally
            {
                if (oos != null)
                {
                    try
                    {
                        oos.close();
                    }
                    catch (IOException e)
                    {
                        //Ignore
                    }
                }
                if (baos != null)
                {
                    try
                    {
                        baos.close();
                    }
                    catch (IOException e)
                    {
                        //Ignore
                    }
                }
            }
            return data;
        }
        return delegate.getFacesConfigData(externalContext);
    }
}