myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Jim May <jim.webg...@gmail.com>
Subject JVM optimized memory setting for server
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:01:01 GMT
I have been doing some research on this topic and I know that there is
quite a bit of information out there. Unfortunately, I usually do not
notice articles that recommend JVM tuning setting for servers with X amount
of memory. I have an issue with a production tomcat server that is running
two applications. One of the applications has an export all records feature
AS AN OPTION. The default is export only the 100 rows on the page, but
sometimes the Admin needs to go to the site and export all records into
excel for their reporting. Now the admin is triggering the export all
feature and the server is imploding with out of memory errors for the heap.

This is the current settings:

-Xms256m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=384m -XX:PermSize=256m

I was wondering what you would recommend for JVM tuning settings on a
server that has 8GB or higher of memory? Are there rules that are usually
followed in deciding the settings? The server is completely dedicated to
the two websites and the database runs on a different server.

Thanks,
--
James