myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Håkon Sagehaug <hakon.sageh...@uni.no>
Subject Re: Using statusIndicator
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2011 14:47:11 GMT
Yes I guess we've seen this. So we just have to figure out how to ask from
the client side each time we want something updated e.g. a list of
something. There I guess the poller is what we would use, and turn it off if
we don't need it anymore. BTW is that by setting interval to 0(zero)?

Or any other better ways to ask for updates from a client?

So fare we like myfaces/trinidad, so we will continue trying it out.

Håkon

On 7 March 2011 15:27, Scott O'Bryan <darkarena@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah.  ICEfaces has an interesting model.  Their AJAX is merely a
> synchronization between the client and the DOM stored on the server.
> There are a number of real advantages to the framework and a number of
> disadvantages.
>
> Trinidad is architected on a different principal.  There is a lot of
> work done directly on the client and their is no server-side Dom.  And
> while ServerSide push can be done in Trinidad with some extensions to
> the framework, they have to be expressly enabled on a component by
> commoner basis.
>
> Scott
>
> On Mar 4, 2011, at 8:39 AM, Håkon Sagehaug <hakon.sagehaug@uni.no> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > So we're trying to implement  part of a system, already implemented with
> > icefaces using myfaces and Trinidad. We decided to compare alittle.
> Icefaces
> > have Ajax Push, so it makes it "easy" to update clients whenever there
> are
> > things to update. SO when a user logs in, we're calling tree different
> > web-services in the backend code.  In the other application we update
> after
> > each call to one of the web service saying
> >
> > 1. Got security token
> > 2. got user information
> > 3. got dataset etc
> >
> > All these are separate call to our web-services, and it would be nice to
> > update the user about the events. For the login we don't start a new
> thread.
> > Other actions such as adding a dataset, where the user want to fetch one
> or
> > more files from ftp/http we start a new thread on the server.First the
> > thread sends the requets for adding the dataset to the web service, and
> gets
> > back a id. The web service starts a thread for downloading the files,
> when
> > finished sets the dataset status to complete. In the mean time the thread
> on
> > the web server polls the status of the download with the id given to him.
> So
> > when the Web server thread gets complete from the web service, a message
> is
> > given to the user.
> >
> > Did that give an okay overview? Just a dumb question, how to enable the
> > poll, setting a positive poll interval? And again thanks for the patience
> >
> > cheers, Håkon
> >

> > On 4 March 2011 16:07, Richard Yee <richard.k.yee@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> enable it on the server as a result of pressing the commandButton. can
> you
> >> answer some of the questions I posed earlier?
> >> If we see the whole picture, then perhaps we can come up with a complete
> [...]
Transitional//EN"

text="Login"

Any other
> >> hint/tips

 The poll
do two different
some way to
> >> display

the output text
work (you'll just

the form (possible

instead

> >> hakon.sagehaug@uni.no

I've got
> >> loginButton

> >> So

is button2, I'm not
> >> sure
 Can you explain?

Sagehaug"<

here ;). Here is what I
> >> tried,

text="Login"

wanted effect. I looks like it

> >> done

is the same as sent in a

Yee<richard.k.yee@gmail.com>

or inside your panelPage

here is my xhtml, with a simple
> >> login

Demo">

name="infoStatus">
name="required" />

label="Username" id="username"

label="Password" id="password"

id="button2" text="Login"

bean

{
=

name " + username + " is logged

fetched";
{
= true;
e1) {
e) {
e) {
e) {
e) {

= new FacesMessage("Login failed");

message);

the thread to simulate the
> >> operations

I'm only getting the token. After
> >> that

to apear  dynmically in the
> >> status

Scott O'Bryan<darkarena@gmail.com>

this wouldn't work..  What
> >> specifically

me visualize your

using Trinidad and myFaces, and had a

wanted to use the
to give back messages for the user like

information

have a  tr:outputText within the

would be linked to a backing bean, but I

can use the progressIndicator, but I would

progress.