myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Michael Heinen <michael.hei...@recommind.com>
Subject dramatic performance decrease after update to JSF 1.2
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:07:04 GMT
Hi,

I have updated my application to JSF 1.2 during the last weeks.
Now I did some performance tests and the result has been alarming!
Performance declined by factor 2-4 depending on hardware and actions!!!

Measurements:
I used two different contexts on same Tomcat means identical tomcat config and JDK.
I started only one of the contexts for each tests run. Backend is also the same.
JMeter was used to fire requests but the difference can be seen by manual clicks immediately.

Obvious results:
Time is lost in phase render response.
Sample numbers for a single request on a slow notebook in phase render response (with debug
logging):
 JSF1.1: 1594ms
 JSF1.1: 4766ms
(The numbers are much better without debug logging of course but the factor is still the same)

Environment:
  Tomcat 6.0.20
  JDK 1.6.0.18

Updated Libs:
  myFaces: 1.1.5 to 1.2.8
  tomahawk: 1.1.7 to 12-1.1.9
  richfaces: 3.1.5 to 3.3.3Beta1
  tiles: 1(struts) to 2.0.5
  jstl:  1.1.0 to 1.2
  commons-digester: 1.7 to 1.8
  oro-2.0.8 to jakarta-oro.jar

Settings:
  identical in 1.1 and 1.2:
    javax.faces.STATE_SAVING_METHOD=server
    org.apache.myfaces.NUMBER_OF_VIEWS_IN_SESSION = 1
    org.apache.myfaces.SERIALIZE_STATE_IN_SESSION = false
    org.apache.myfaces.COMPRESS_STATE_IN_SESSION=false

  1.2 new:
    org.apache.myfaces.SECRET added
    org.apache.myfaces.USE_ENCRYPTION = false
    org.apache.myfaces.CACHE_OLD_VIEWS_IN_SESSION_MODE=off (I patched this in 1.1 and removed
the old references)

Questions before I start profiling and probably sink time:
1) Is this typical or expected?
2) Is any new configuration flag added to 1.2 which could have high impact on performance?
3) Any other hints where to look at?

Michael