myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Yee-wah Lee <yee-wah....@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [Trinidad] tr:convertDateTime, pattern and client validation
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:12:42 GMT
Hi Lucas,

I was able to reproduce this. The problem is in the client datetime
converter, which assumes that years occupy 4 digits.
function _subparse (..)
      case 'y': // year
        var year = _accumulateNumber(parseContext, 4);

So, it parses a string like "981122"  and gets year=9811, then runs out
of digits for the month and day. This hasn't been a more common problem
because there is usually a separator ('/' in en_us), so when the parse
encounters the separator char, it doesn't try to consume more
characters. In the en_us case, after it parses out year=98, it will fix
it to 1998 in _fix2DYear.

I'm not familiar with the history of "shortish" in the converter, it may
be why the client code assumes 4 characters for years. Tag doc states:

    The default dateStyle is |shortish|. Shortish is identical to
    |short| but forces the year to be a full four digits. |dateStyle|
    defaults to |shortish| if it was not set.

If anyone knows if there is a limitation on date time converter
regarding 2 digit years, please chime in. Otherwise, this sounds like a
bug (workaround: use 4 digit years or separator char).

Yee-Wah