myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Belem <lissa...@online.de>
Subject Re: exception with extval - JSF1054 RENDER_RESPONSE 6
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2009 13:12:50 GMT

Hi Gerhard,

it took longer than expected to resolve the problem with following
exception:
org.apache.jasper.el.JspPropertyNotFoundException:
/myapp/templates/Login.jsp(20,56) '#{userBean.loginUserName}' Target
Unreachable, identifier 'userBean' resolved to null

> it doesn't look like an extval issue. extval is just the first point where
> you see the issue.
However, you're right, it's no extval issue! Sorry for that!

I realised that web.xml loads faces-config.xml and faces configuration in
the following manner differently:
<context-param>
  <param-name>javax.faces.CONFIG_FILES
  </param-name>
  <param-value>
  	     /WEB-INF/faces-beans.xml,/WEB-INF/faces-navigation.xml,
  	     /WEB-INF/faces-validators.xml,
  	     /${app.path}/config/faces-config.xml
  </param-value>
</context-param>

With /${app.path}/config/faces-config.xml I load another faces-config.xml
(containing my definitions for the managed-beans). But that file is
generated/copied by one of my classes. So the problem is, web.xml reads all
faces configurations, however, the file copied by source code isn't there at
runtime. The class that does the copying is kicked off as a filter in
web.xml itself, so I assume - even if I reorder my web.xml - it's no
difference because web.xml just kicks off filters and doesn't wait for a
generation of such a faces-config.xml file... Therefore I used an
environment variable to point to the path of the additional faces
configuration containing my managed-beans.
So now i understand why I had to restart tomcat: after a restart, the file
could be found at the time web.xml searches there for!

Perhaps this thread could be useful for others having problems with
managed-beans or faces configuration in combination with exceptions of this
kind:

JSF1054: (Phase ID: RENDER_RESPONSE 6, View ID: /myapp/templates/Layout.jsp)
Exception thrown during phase execution:
javax.faces.event.PhaseEvent[source=com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl@bf1a4a]

javax.servlet.ServletException: error at binding: #{userBean.loginUserName}
-- an el-resolver error occurred! maybe you used an invalid binding.
otherwise: please report the issue, deactivate the el-resovler of extval via
web.xml context-param:
org.apache.myfaces.extensions.validator.DEACTIVATE_EL_RESOLVER and test
again.

org.apache.jasper.el.JspPropertyNotFoundException:
/myapp/templates/Login.jsp(20,56) '#{userBean.loginUserName}' Target
Unreachable, identifier 'userBean' resolved to null

So, Gerhard, thank you very much for your support and all your hints
pointing me into the right direction!! :D
This thread can be marked as solved and I have to mention again that extval
was not was not the cause of the exception!

Belem