myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Jan-Kees van Andel <jankeesvanan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance issues with JSF
Date Mon, 20 Jul 2009 19:19:07 GMT
Also, as you probably know, the second time you access a JSP, it
should be *much* faster, since it needs to be compiled the first time.
If your app is only slow the first time you access a page, there may
be no problem.

But, show us some timing results. Where is the bottleneck?
With a simple PhaseListener, you can measure the JSF lifecycle. Just
count the milli- (or nano-) seconds every phase takes.

And while you're at it, you might also want to print the duration of
the entire request. A filter is a good place, since it also covers the
Ajax4jsf Filter, etc.

When you know the performance of the server side, install a good
network monitoring tool. FireBug works fine for me most of the time.
It has a simple network tab where you can see the durations and timing
of web requests (CSS, JS, images...).

You need to find the problem before fixing it.

When you really don't know how to find/fix the problem, but you're
sure the problem is web related, try the YSlow plugin for Firebug.

If you can post a simple benchmark or something like that, we may be
able to help you further.

Regards,
Jan-Kees