myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Quentel (4DM)" <mquen...@4dm-inc.com>
Subject Re: Java Heap Space
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:52:43 GMT
Try upgrading to the latest JVM.  Analyse threads in JConsole.  Might there need to be some
blocks of code set to synchronised?

Perhaps you have already done the above; but these are good ways to rule out the sources of
leaks, as well as to diagnose the issues.

------Original Message------
From: kaphbeth@gmx.net
To: users@myfaces.apache.org
ReplyTo: MyFaces Discussion
Subject: Java Heap Space
Sent: 16 Jun 2009 04:36

Hi %,

I'm facing a wired issue with the java heap space which is close
to bringing me to the ropes.

The short version is:

I've written a ContentManagementSystem which needs to handle
huge files (>600mb) too. Tomcat heap settings:

-Xmx700m
-Xms400m

The issue is, that uploading huge files works eventhough it's
slow. Downloading files results in a java heap space exception.

Trying to download a 370mb file makes tomcat jump to 500mb heap
(which should be ok) and end in an Java heap space exception.

I don't get it, why does upload work and download not?
Here's my download code:

	byte[] byt = new byte[1024*1024*2];

	response.setHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment;filename=\"" + fileName + "\"");

	FileInputStream fis = null;
	OutputStream os = null;

	fis = new FileInputStream(new File(filePath));
	os = response.getOutputStream();

	BufferedInputStream buffRead = new BufferedInputStream(fis);

	while((read = buffRead.read(byt))>0)
	{
		os.write(byt,0,read);
		os.flush();
	}

	buffRead.close();
	os.close();

If I'm getting it right the buffered reader should take care of any
memory issue, right?

Is there a chance that JSF interferes my tomcat settings?
Any help would be highly appreciated since I ran out of ideas.

		Best regards,

Mike Quentel
Senior Geospatial Software Developer
4DM Inc.
671 Danforth Avenue Suite 305
Toronto, Ontario
M4J 1L3
Ph/Fax 416 - 410-7569
www.4dm-inc.com
Providing solutions through mapping technology....