myfaces-users mailing list archives

From jankeesvanan...@gmail.com
Subject Re: Re: [COMMUNITY] MyFaces += Jan-Kees van Andel
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 08:09:26 GMT
Hi,

Some thoughts:
- I've already created a Jira ticket for the annotation processing stuff
and submitted an initial patch with a quick and dirty implementation. I
didn't want to implement the feature and refactor in the same patch.
- Currently, I'm using the xbean-finder library from Geronimo for the
processing stuff. This library uses ASM under the hood which worries me,
since ASM is a widely used library and it has lead to many classloading
issues because of other frameworks packaging different versions of ASM.
- I have also created an annotation scanner of my own, which is actually
quite fast and doesn't have a dependency on any library, except Java.
- The class which is responsible for configuring myfaces is
FacesConfigurator. I've inserted my annotation scanning code into this
class, which will become quite cumbersome if I continue this way.
- My current plan is to use a Strategy implementation. The
FacesConfigurator contains a list of Configurator instances. This list can
be extended by the application developer by providing a configuration
parameter or something like that. This will enable developers to create
Spring or Guice Configurators. However, I think there are not many vendors
who will use this, since it is specific to MyFaces. But providing extension
hooks is always a good idea IMHO. I don't think that making the annotation
scanning code pluggable is very useful since the xbean-finder library is
already very easy to use.

I'm interested in your plans. Please compose a new message and link back to
this one to keep things clear.

/JK

On Feb 26, 2009 9:31pm, Curtiss Howard <curtiss.howard@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi JK,

> Out of curiosity, what are your plans for implementing the annotation

> configuration code (I assume you're talking about @ManagedBean and the

> like)? Mike Concini and I are both going to be doing a good bit of

> work on MyFaces and one spot in particular that we'd like to (try to)

> have input on is the annotation processing. We have a couple ideas

> related to how to architect annotation processing such that the

> annotation scanning logic can be "pluggable". We feel that this would

> help open the door to possibly allowing implementors/extenders of

> MyFaces to make performance improvements in that area. Would you like

> to start a discussion about this with us?

> Thanks,

> Curtiss Howard

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Jan-Kees van Andel

> jankeesvanandel@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Thanks guys and also thanks to the rest of the MyFaces team for the
> trust.

> > The first thing I'm gonna try to implement is the annotation based

> > configuration code. I think that's a fair amount of work for now. We'll
> see

> > what to do after that. I'm sure there's plenty of work when that's done

> > /JK

> > 2009/2/26 Grant Smith work.grant@gmail.com>

> >> Hi Jan-Kees,

> >> Congratulations and welcome !

> >> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Simon Lessard
> simon.lessard.3@gmail.com>

> matzew@apache.org>

> community.

in