myfaces-users mailing list archives

From michael freedman <michael.freed...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [PORTAL] JSR301 portal bridge
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:34:15 GMT
Following up with a little more detail:
As Scott says JSR 301 is working on two specifications:
Portlet 1.0 Bridge for JavaServer Faces
Portlet 2.0 Bridge for JavaServer Faces

The Portlet 1.0 Bridge has just completed its Public Review and I am
about to post the Proposed Final Draft.  The current alpha release of
the RI in the MyFaces project is a little old.  It corresponds to Early
Draft Review 3 posted in March.  The code that exists on the trunk
(http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/portlet-bridge/core/trunk) is
stable and complete and corresponds to the Public Review Draft.  We
should be posting an alpha3 release containing this software shortly.
In early December the Proposed Final Draft will be posted on the JCP
site.  There are only a few minor changes from the Public Review Draft.
This should be followed shortly with a alpha4/beta1 release on MyFaces
of the corresponding RI.  At this point I basically consider the RI done
as my attention turns to doing the TCK and the Portlet 2.0 spec/impl.

The Portlet 2.0 Bridge is under development. Within the JSR EG I am
circulating the first proposed Early Draft.  I am also actively working
on updating the preliminary implementation I put out on Apache last
March
(http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/portlet-bridge/core/trunk_2.0.x).
I hope to post the Early Draft review 1 of this spec in mid/late
December and have a corresponding alpha1 release on Apache in early
January.  From there the process/schedule largely depends on EG and
external feedback.  As Portlet 2.0 introduces new features that don't
fit seemlessly with Faces we may have to let the spec/impl stew for a
while to make sure we have things right.

FYI ... I would be interested in hearing your interest in Portlet 2.0
Bridge, in particular the features of Portlet 2.0 you are hoping to
leverage in your solution, your particular use cases, and your
expectations for how they will work.
    -Mike-