myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SaveState Session or Not ?
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:26:21 GMT
The wiki page does look useful, but could be written more clearly. I'll
try to find time to update it.

The tomahawk saveState tag saves data in the *jsf view*. Therefore, that
data lasts as long as the user is on the same view, and is then
discarded. However when a JSF postback navigates to another page, the
new page can itself use a saveState tag to "grab" the data from the
previous view into itself, so data can be kept alive across multiple pages.

This is quite different from either "request" or "session" scope, and is
quite useful.

If you are using client-side-state-saving for the jsf view then of
course anything saved into the view using <saveState> is sent across the
network to the browser, like the rest of the view. So don't add anything
too big.

If you are using server-side-state-saving, then the object is serialized
and saved into a special http-session attribute along with the rest of
the view. But it will be discarded automatically along with the rest of
the view data when the user navigates to a different page.

Regards,
Simon