myfaces-users mailing list archives

From milankoko <milan.k...@gmail.com>
Subject General concepts in JSF
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 21:40:05 GMT

Hi!

I'm just getting myself known with JSF and its ways and have a couple of
questions about general concepts. It my first time developing java web app
so please forgive me if I come out stupid. I am developing my app with
myfaces 1.2 implementation of JSF.

My idea is to create some kind of online store with a general layout: menu
at the top, menu on left and a placeholder in the middle. When clicking on
items on the top nav menu whole placeholder would change its content type. I
do not know what component to use for a placeholder so I would appreciate
any tips you may have. So top menu would change whole content and navigation
would occur through action="#{bean.action}" navigation to that page. The
menu on the left would serve as filter for categories that are displayed and
selecting a category would fire ajax request that would update left menu and
placeholder in the middle with updated items.

Is this a valid solution for JSF and what kind of component can I use for a
placeholder? Is it possible to create something generic so I wouldn't have
to create a bunch of jsf pages, only one and control all components through
query strings in request?