myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Richard Yee" <richard.k....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Trinidad] Session is about to expire dialog
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:13:59 GMT
The client side code would involve using a JavaScript timer that is created
using the standard setTimeout(expression, timeout) call. This timeout period
would be slightly shorter than the timeout period that is set on the server.
The expression argument would call a function to display the "Session is
about to expire dialog". Once the dialog is displayed, another timer is
created that will clear the dialog and cause an AJAX call that would invoke
a servlet to expire the session on the server if the user doesn't respond
within a short amount of time. If the user clicks the "Continue" dialog
button, an AJAX call is made to a servlet that will refresh the session.

This is how many online banking applications handle session timeouts.

-Richard