myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Walter Mourão" <walter.mou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Trinidad] tr:inputText read-only behaviour
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:00:26 GMT
Hi Folks, thanks the interest so far.

>  If the component is editable, but there is no setter for the component
> >  to store its new value into during postback, then what should it do?
> >
> >  In your example, there is no way that any data entered by the used can
> >  be written back to "fn:join(somevar)", so any user data entered would
> >  have to be thrown away on postback. Therefore when there is no setter
> >  method, the *only* sane thing to do is make the component non-editable
> >  or disabled.

>  Maybe what you are asking is for the component to be *disabled* rather
> >  than *read-only*? That would seem to be reasonable..but how can a
> >  "writable" field possibly be useful here?

The posted value is being read directly from the request parameters.

that's why Trinidad's EditableValueRenderer (a base class) has an extra
> check
> against the EL, if it is read-only. Standard JSF doesn't do that.

Actually, before trying to use the EL, I realized that if I don't put the
value property or if I use a simple string (value="xxx") the tr:inputText
doesn't become read only and works fine. That's why I thought it should be
possible to use the EL.

A way around could be using <h:inputText/>, since there is no such an
> additional read-only check.

Yes. I've made some tests with h:inputText, but in this case I loose some
useful properties (partialTriggers and label for example). I will try again.

Clarifying, I'm building a pure (no external dependencies) facelets/trinidad
autocomplete component. I'm glad it is almost ready to be shown.

So, I will try another path to finish the component. If somebody knows a
workaround to make the inputText writable without the setter, please let me
know.

Thanks,

--
Walter Mourão