myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Carsten Pieper <carsten.pie...@continentale.de>
Subject [Trinidad] Skinning - can't get browser hacks working...
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:10:05 GMT

Hi,

in some cases the nice @agent feature can't help your skinning efforts for
different browsers, for example if you want to
differentiate between different versions of Internet Explorer (see this
thread:
http://www.nabble.com/Skinning-for-specific-%40agent-_versions_---to13572999.html)
or if you want to skin icons (see
http://myfaces.apache.org/trinidad/devguide/skinning.html,
section Skinning CSS features).

In these cases, I planned to fall back on those nasty browser hacks but they
seem to
be ignored by the Trinidad skinning (I'm on Trinidad 1.0.5), i.e. I can't
see any
effects (neither in the rendered pages nor in the generated CSS).

I tried the "star html hack" (to include CSS in IE <= 6)
    * html .mySelector {...}

 as well as the "negation pseudo class hack" (to exclude CSS from IE)
     html:not([dummy]) .mySelector {...}

In the above mentioned forum thread Sven gave an example for
star html hack usage in a Trinidad style sheet
(http://www.nabble.com/Skinning-for-specific-%40agent-_versions_---to13572999.html#a13590541).
I tried the CSS snippet given there, too, but to no avail...

To give another simple example. Assume that I might want my default font
size to
be bigger in IE (no, I don't really want that, just to keep the example
simple; in reality I want to skin icons...)

/* general setting */
.AFDefaultFont:alias {font-size: 12px;}

/* make it bigger for IE */
@agent ie {
	.AFDefaultFont:alias {font-size: 15px;}
}

This works fine, as described in the Developer's Guide. However, if I
replace the @agent with the star html hack I see no effects:

/* the star html hack, doesn't work for me here */
* html .AFDefaultFont:alias {
        font-size: 15px;
}

Do you have any ideas? Any hint appreciated!

Thanks, Carsten