myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Millman" <mark.mill...@mizar.com>
Subject RE: Doubt about ADF Faces & Trinidad
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:11:32 GMT
Frank, we started our work way back before the Trinidad announcement.  Our
early commitment left us locked into it before Trinidad was available.
Whatever Oracle's intentions were with respect to the donation of ADF Faces
to Apache; it certainly works for us.  The quality of Trinidad it a
testament to how Open Source communities work best.

Thanks, Mark

mark.millman@mizar.com | www.mizar.com | (360) 945-2643

From: Frank Nimphius [mailto:frank.nimphius@oracle.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:13 AM
To: MyFaces Discussion
Subject: Re: Doubt about ADF Faces & Trinidad

Mark,

Oracle's strategy from early on was to use Trinidad instead of ADF Faces in
JDeveloper11. Wit the donation of the ADF Faces sources to MyFaces Trinidad
it was also decided to move onto this open source stack. We communicated
quite clearly to our customers that our commitment is within Trinidad.
However, maybe this message didn't reach you in time though. The "clear
sign" as you call it is a clear sign of our commitment to JSF, the Trinidad
open source project and its community : Good you see it that way too :-)

Oracle is a major contributor to MyFaces Trinidad. To the same time though,
we started developing ADF Faces RC as a complete new technology stack based
on Trinidad APIs. Unlike ADF Faces of 10.1.3, which is based on JSF 1.1, the
new component set - plus the Trinidad version - in JDeveloper 11 is based on
JSF 1.2. So if you want to run your ADF Faces tag libraries unchanged in
JDeveloper 11 then this is the reason why you can't. Oracle JDeveloper 11
will migrate ADF Faces 10.1.3 projects to Trinidad in JDeveloper 11, so you
leverage the new JSF 1.2 version of this component stack.

Frank

Mark Millman wrote:

We've been developing in ADF Faces since EA11 (sometime in 2005 I think) and
have three production systems using it.  We've ported one of them to
Trinidad and it cured no end of annoying bugs.

Trinidad isn't just a Free version of ADF Faces, it is a major improvement.
I see no reason to start a project today, using a component library that
Oracle no longer supports and which has numerous behavior problems, a large
number of which were fixed in Trinidad.  Oracle has moved on to Trinidad and
that should be a clear sign.  Oh, and you really can't run ADF Faces in
JDeveloper 11g.  We tried and ran into numerous conflicts with Trinidad/ADF
Rich Faces.  I'm sure these can be cured by modifying your JDeveloper 11g
delivery configuration but, Why?