myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Gerhard Petracek" <gerhard.petra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Simple Question (Action Call from BackingBean init method)
Date Sat, 24 Nov 2007 02:49:58 GMT
hello daniel,

some additional information:
just to avoid misunderstandings - the summary of the suggestion has no
reference to the NavigationHandler approach because in that case your
init-method would get executed before.

generally spoken: to implement a custom NavigationHandler is just an
alternative approach (in your case it doesn't solve your problem).
if someone is interested in this approach you will find an example at:
http://www.jsftutorials.net/jsfNavigation/jsf-login-navigation-redirect.html
(i didn't look at the details of this specific solution - it's just an
example... - and they also suggest to use a PhaseListener)

regards,
gerhard

2007/11/24, Gerhard Petracek <gerhard.petracek@gmail.com>:

> hello daniel,
>
> i would like to suggest other solutions.
>
> i think you are familiar with the common ways of handling navigation
> (summarized - e.g. if you use the "from-outcome" approach an action-method
> returns the outcome or you use a static string within your page - with this
> approach only these outcomes are used for navigation)
> -> if your "init"-method is not an action method (it doesn't sound like
> one) - you should consider alternative solutions.
>
> --- just a general information before we start ---
> with this additional information i don't refer to the solution you are
> having in mind!
> basically you can manually navigate e.g. with:
>         FacesContext.getCurrentInstance().getApplication().getNavigationHandler().handleNavigation(
> ... );
> or with:
>             FacesContext.getCurrentInstance().getExternalContext().redirect(
> ... );
>
> however, be careful with these mechanisms - they don't work at any point
> of your application and you risk to "break" your application if you misuse
> these mechanisms.
> ---
>
> if you don't like to use security extensions such as Acegi you have to
> implement custom mechanisms to provide login pages and to avoid initial
> actions within your bean. in that case i would suggest more generic
> solutions - e.g. a custom PhaseListener or a custom NavigationHandler.
>
> to summarize my suggestion: use/implement a mechanism which takes place
> before your init-method gets executed.
>
> regards,
> gerhard
>

> 2007/11/23, daniel ccss <danielccss2@gmail.com>:
> >
> > I have a simple question
> >
> > I have been working with myfaces-tomahawk for 6 months, great, but I
> > have a question, how to call an 'action' from the backing bean, until
> > today I have called all my action methods from the JSP page, on the
> > onClick, onChange, etc events, but now I need to call an action from
> > another method in my backing bean.
> >
> > I have an init method in my backing bean that ask if the user is in
> > session, if yes all the load of the combos etc is make, if not I need
> > to call a method that returns to the login page by returning the
> > navigation rule like this:
> >
> > //init
> > {
> >      if(userInSession){
> >         do the load of the controls
> >      }else{
> >         returnToLogin();
> >      }
> > }
> >
> > private String returnToLogin(){
> >       return "login";
> > }
> >
> > and in faces-config.xml i have the navigation rule:
> >
> > <navigation-rule>
> >   <from-view-id>....
> >
> >   <navigation-case>
> >    <from-outcome>login</from-outcome>
> [...]