myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Andrew Robinson" <andrew.rw.robin...@gmail.com>
Subject MyFaces AJAX commons?
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 16:39:44 GMT
Related to the email I just sent asking about A4J and Trinidad, I am
wondering if there is an opening for a new MyFaces project. MyFaces
has no standard AJAX support. Sandbox fairly recently got some ppr
functionality and Trinidad has its own. It would be really nice to see
one common library for AJAX for myfaces.

The idea would be to have MyFaces AJAX. Then Trinidad, Tobago,
Tomahawk (and sandbox), and any new component libraries could leverage
this AJAX library. If done in a very abstracted way (interfaces,
factories, etc.), this library could even be more like the commons
logging project, meaning that it could use another technology under
the hood just like commons logging supports log4j as well as java
logging.

The reason I'd love to see this is so that people could use a
combination of MyFaces component libraries and have them all work
together. There may even be room for using A4J or even ICEFaces under
the hood if done right, so that all these libraries can be compatible.

I know this is a tricky area and hard to solidify one API that we can
agree on, but I think I would be a great step. It would be nice to be
able, as a tomahawk committer to write controls that would be AJAX'd
and work with Trinidad if someone wanted to use that library as well
for example.

If people think it is a good idea, we could start by moving code from
Trinidad for example.

Opinions?

-Andrew