myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Zied Hamdi" <javaha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Myfaces 1.2.0 setup issues (again)
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:56:38 GMT
Hi fashion creators ;-),

I'm really happy for this last event, even if I'm a little late (notice it
has its advanteges to be late too ;-).

Wolf:
>Tomcat6 is kinda a standard and if you don't need Tomahawk, why not just
use the RI

I'd say you're a little "direct" with the MyFaces team, comparing the RI and
MyFaces with all its subprojects is a little "unfair" comparaison seen that
the RI doesn't have to handle nor ajax features nor css beside the fact that
it's definitely less rich in its components, in addition to the fact that
MyFaces is not "just" Tomahawk, and that the RI is only a sort of "testing
labs" with no performance objectives.

On the other side, I agree with you in the fact that integrating MyFaces is
not made very easy. For me, exception messages of MyFaces are not verbose
enough to give you an orientation on what's exactly going wrong. I think
some work of catching and rethrowing more explicit and verbose exceptions
could help in all developement and integration phasis.

Just for an example on the well known exception: "Base is null"

It costed me nothing to add this code snippet in ValueBindingImpl:
line 461

        *if* (base == *null*)

        {

            *throw* *new* PropertyNotFoundException("Base is null: "

                + complexValue.getPrefix().*getExpressionString*() +" in
expression: "+ complexValue.getExpressionString() );

        }

line 475

            *if* (base == *null*)

            {

                *throw* *new* PropertyNotFoundException("Base is null: "

                    + suffix.*getExpressionString*() +" in expression: "+
suffixes +" for object: "+ complexValue.getPrefix()

                    .*evaluate*(variableResolver, *s_functionMapper*,

                        ELParserHelper.*LOGGER*) );

            }

So I spend less time in searching in which page the problem is. A even
better handling would be to say in which page and which line the problem
occured (by catching this exception in a wider context). The same can be
done for testing if MyFaces is loaded correctly (a sort of self checking
utility).

Regards,
Zied

2007/7/20, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew@apache.org>:

> > running better wait for a 2.0.1 release if things do not work out
> quickly.
>
> 1.2.1 ;)
>
> > Werner
> >

> > Wolf Benz schrieb:
> > > Hi all
> > > Thanks for the help so far guys.
> > > After yesterday's struggling,  I wasn't really in the mood today to
> pick
> > > it up again so quickly. Will try again this WE.
> > >
> > > Short question aside:
> > > I've got nothing against facelets (quite the contrary), but I
> understand
> > > from previous postings the combo Tomcat6 - MF120 - Tomahawk - JSP is a
> > > dead end.
> > > I think this is a problem as I guess most users will use this combo.
> > > Tomcat6 is kinda a standard and if you don't need Tomahawk, why not
> just
> > > use the RI... (MF could learn smth from their easy setup -- I think
> > > there's great value in defaulting much more so that the web.xml can
> > > remain much easier than MF makes it now)
> > > Facelets is better than JSP yet most users still use JSP...
> > > Certainly as I guess what most users will forst attempt(like myself)
> is
> > > migrate old apps to the new MF std.
> > > Or does JSP work if you just don't use JSTL?
> > >
> > > How good are your contacts with the Apache Tomcat team to perhaps
> > > address this issue in an incremental Tomcat release? (should this be
> the
> > > best way to solve this decoupling)
> > >
> > > Wolf
> > >

> > > On 7/20/07, *Matthias Wessendorf* <matzew@apache.org
> > > <mailto:matzew@apache.org>> wrote:
> > >
> > >      > Ok I just got in a correction of Matthias, as it seems I cannot
> > >     confirm
> > >      > jetty yet.
> > >      > Anyway, I will do furhter testing this afternoon to circle the
> entire
> > >      > thing in a little bit (also I will try jetty personally)
> > >      >
> > >      > All I personally can say for now, is that I can confirm that
> the
> > >     combination
> > >      > of Tomcat 6 MyFaces 1.2 and Facelets work as they should.
> > >      >
> > >      > please watch https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-1682
> > >      > for further comments on this.
> > >
> > >     so, I noticed the TLD thing on ([1]) in tomcat 6.0.13 with and
> > >     without tomahawk.
> > >     Not in Jetty 6.1.2rc0 .
> > >
> > >     -Matthias
> > >
> > >     [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MYFACES-1682