myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Peter Rawlins <peter.rawl...@focus-solutions.co.uk>
Subject RE: [Trinidad] panelTabbed - validation of unvisited tabs
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:57:45 GMT

On 7/19/07, Adam Winer wrote:

> There's two questions here:
> (1) Is there a way to validate tabs that have been disclosed,
>   but aren't disclosed right now?
> (2) Is there a way to validate tabs that have never been disclosed.
>
> For 1, the answer is yes:  call processValidators() and
> processUpdateModel() on the children of the showDetailItem.
>
> For 2, the answer is no, you can't.  And you can't set the submitted value to "", because
> that'll blow up for many renderers.
>
> What you need here is bean-level validation, not component-level validation.
> Alternatively, you might disable the button until all tabs have been visited.

Adam,  thanks for the quick reply.

I've got quite a lot of similar pages to create using tabbedPanels, so I'd like to make the
most of the automatic validation based on the declarative page definition.

After careful consideration, I've decided to go with your very last suggestion - with a slight
tweak :-)

I plan to track which tabs have been visited, but leave the button always enabled.
When the button is pushed, the action will first perform a check that all necessary tabs have
been visited, and if not, disclose the next required tab as appropriate.  If the check passes,
then the normal button action will be performed.  I'll be relying on the standard behaviour
of not letting the user get out of the current tab unless it's valid - so I need to ensure
that no "immediate" actions switch away from the current tab.

Additionally, I expect to use bean-level validation for cross-field validation where the fields
are on different tabs.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,
Peter.