myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Martin Marinschek" <martin.marinsc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [TRINIDAD] Skinning in a portlet environment
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:05:35 GMT
Does the portlet container really provide every styleclass that is
necessary for Trinidad components to look like they normally look?

I'm just thinking that what is currently being done is not enough to
have the full skinning features available, and that going the
direction of adding the CSS dynamically would allow to do so.

regards,

Martin

On 7/26/07, Scott O'Bryan <darkarena@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Martin,
>
> Does the simple-portlet skin render any better?  I *THINK* that when
> running in a portal environment you always get the simple-portlet skin
> unless your portal provides one of the necessary skin extensions which,
> right now, it trinidad proprietary.  Maybe this is just a case of us
> needing to bug-fix the portlet skin.
>
> That article is interesting, but I think that Trinidad has attempted to
> do the same thing only in a different way.  Instead of using javascript
> to copy in the styles, we actually change the class names that get
> rendered on the client to use the portal styles where appropriate.
> Still, I'm not sure that this has been tested extensively because before
> we started looking at 301, much of Trinidad's portal work has been done
> with a Proof of Concept environment.
>
> Scott
>
> Martin Marinschek wrote:
> > After playing around for a while and finally finding out that it was
> > as easy as setting:
> >
> >  <skin-family>simple</skin-family>
> >
> > in the trinidad-config.xml I got skinning to run in the portlet
> > environment. In the end, I'm not very happy with what I see, though.
> >
> > I'm attaching a screenshot - basically, not much change happens by
> > applying skinning - obviously due to the fact that the portlet
> > containers don't offer many default style-class hooks.
> > Have I been getting this wrong or does it really look like this?
> >
> > If I have been doing the right thing, wouldn't it be nice to have a
> > way of adding the stylesheet with javascript dynamically in the body?
> >
> > Something like this:
> >
> > http://cse-mjmcl.cse.bris.ac.uk/blog/2005/08/18/1124396539593.html
> >
> > might be in order to have full skinning available, and still be
> > standards compliant.
> >
> > I'd implement this in a component, if nobody has better ideas...
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Martin

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -