myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Andrew Robinson" <andrew.rw.robin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSF Specs (an improvement)
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:50:54 GMT
It sounds like you are simply asking about the name resolution from
the EL engine. If that is the case, then there may be different
options for you, but I am not sure if I still understand your use case
all the way.

If it is about name resolution, then the best place I can send you is
to the MyFaces source code. If you open

org.apache.myfaces.el.VariableResolverImpl

You will see the source that is responsible for resolving JSF variable
names in the MyFaces implementation.

When someone asks for "#{cat}", it will check in order:

1) built-in (facesContext for example)
2) request
3) session
4) application
5) managed bean

Therefore if you have "cat" mapped in the servlet application scope
and a bean named "cat", you will only get one from the servlet
application scope and never the managed bean. If you have two managed
beans with the same name, one is booted and never will be returned
(hence the warnings).

Think of the managed beans as being registered in a Map. Only one
value is possible.

If you are having name conflicts, I would suggest using EL naming
patterns. This could be XML namespace style, java package style, or
your own custom style.

So instead of "cat", you could use "requestscope-cat" or
"request-com-mycomp-cat" or whatever.

Now if you still want more functionality, then may I suggest looking
into writing your own VariableResolver by extending the one from
MyFaces or look into writing your own property resolvers (see
faces-config information or other JSF specification information for
information on these).

Hope that helps some,
Andrew