myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Andrew Robinson" <andrew.rw.robin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Show Progress of File Upload
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:27:40 GMT
I don't think there is a why to show progress for file upload. What
happens in HTTP is that the full request is sent all at once and then
the response is streamed to the client. In the servlet environment,
the servlet is not invoked until the entire HTTP request has been
received and therefore, the full file contents. It really isn't a
matter of JSF, but of HTTP.

If you need to show progress, you will have to use a browser plug-in
of some sort (signed applet for example), or work in the socket layer
in the server. If you have several files being uploaded, you could
send them one at a time using an IFRAME and show progress that way
(each file having its own form that submits to an IFRAME target, and
use the response in the IFRAME with javascript to update some kind of
status, like file 2 of 5 uploaded).