myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Andrew Robinson" <andrew.rw.robin...@gmail.com>
Subject Leveraging other JSF open source libraries in MyFaces with new contribution projects?
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 17:05:17 GMT
The more I use JSF, the more comfortable I get with some of the 3rd
party open source libraries and the strengths and weaknesses of each.
Until the JSF specification catches up with the common add-on
technologies for JSF, the proverbial wheel is getting re-invented all
the time (PPR, skinning, validation, JavaScript libraries, etc.).

I find myself often using features from Facelets, MyFaces Tomahawk,
MyFaces Sandbox, Seam framework and some of the components, A4J
framework and components and a little of the RichFaces components
(tree mainly) (and JDK 1.5 enhancements too).

When I think about contributing new components and framework code to
the open source community, I want to leverage combinations of these
frameworks, and not have to re-invent the wheel. I'm never sure where
to put this code, and for those projects that I decided to forward
with I have put them with jsf-comp on sourceforge, but I'd rather have
them with a larger community for better support.

I'm wondering what the MyFaces and ASF teams would think about new
projects under the MyFaces umbrella that leverage other libraries
provided by JBoss. For example:

- MyFaces+A4J
- MyFaces+RichFaces
- MyFaces+Seam
- MyFaces+Facelets

This would give open source developers, that find ASF easier to work
with as an open source foundation, an opportunity to provide new
components that extend the JBoss libraries without having to
contribute to JBoss, a commercially owned company.

What implications are there with this (Facelets vs. JBoss vs. apache
licenses -- CDDL vs. LGPL vs. ApacheV2)?

Is this something that MyFaces/ASF would be interested in, or is it
recommended more that code that extends JBoss projects be part of the
JBoss offerings?

Thanks,
Andrew