myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Kienenberger" <mkien...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Trinidad] Input Text Format That Uses A Mask
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 18:40:15 GMT
How does this compare to validateRegExpr in Tomahawk, particularly if
it becomes a validator instead of a component?

http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk/validateRegExpr.html

On 6/6/07, William Hoover <whoover@nemours.org> wrote:
> Point well taken! The component should extend UIXInput instead and renamed CoreInputMask.
Are you are proposing to change this into a validator or converter instead of a component
extension? If it was to use a converter/validator at what point would it append the JS event
calls (onkeydown, onblur, onfocus)? As of yet it does not address server-side validation,
but it would be fairly easy to implement. Currently, using the example of a (999)999-9999
mask, and an input of (415)555-1212 the bean would see exactly what the user input i.e. (415)555-1212
If a converter/validator was to be used it would be simple enough to strip the mask characters.
I would assume that it would be best to have this as an option because it may be desirable
to maintain the mask?

integrated into the CoreInputText, if desired. It extends CoreInputText and adds two extra
PropertyKeys: "mask" and "clearWhenInvalid". The "mask" attribute designates the pattern for
which will be used to prevent invalid characters at the specified slots. For Example, (999)999-9999
would be displayed as (___)___-____ allowing only numeric values to be entered where underscores
are present (see examples below for a more detailed overview). The "clearWhenInvalid" is an
option to clear the contents (onblur) of the input field when it does not meet the mask pattern
requirements- default is currently true. The only other logic contained in the component is
used to make the JS calls: onblur, onfocus, and onkeydown. The client script is contained
in a namespace called "CoreInputTextFormat" so none of the functions will interfere with other
Trinidad scripts (as you suggested in TRINIDAD-37 it would be nice if we had a Trinidad namespace
that could register component level namespaces!). It does however add a prototype extension
to RegExp to allow RegExp.escape(someText) preventing recompilation of the escape expression.
That is it! I don't think there is a significant amount of code to warrant a CLA (client script
under 200 lines, component logic is trivial). Let me know what your thoughts on all of this!

> > Mask Individual Character Usage and Reserved Characters:
> > 9 - designates only numeric values
> > L - designates only uppercase letter values
> > l - designates only lowercase letter values
> > A - designates only alphanumeric values
> > X - denotes that a custom client script regular expression is specified
> > All other characters are assumed to be "special" characters used to mask the input
component

> > Examples:
> > (999)999-9999
> >         only numeric values can be entered where the character position value is
9. Parenthesis and dash are non-editable/mask characters.
> > 99L-ll-X[^A-C]X
> >         only numeric values for the first two characters, uppercase values for the
third character, lowercase letters for the fifth/sixth characters, and the last character
X[^A-C]X together counts as the eighth character regular expression that would allow all characters
but "A", "B", and "C". Dashes outside the regular expression are non-editable/mask characters.