myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Fleischer Peter" <peter.fleisc...@munich-airport.de>
Subject AW: [Trinidad] Causing Too many open files error?
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2007 07:42:37 GMT
The problem is reproducable. After restarting tomcat and some requests to my application the
jar file will again be opened multiple times. Every (initial?) request to a page increases
the number. Eventually after some time the files are garbage collected.

Peter

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Scott O'Bryan [mailto:darkarena@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 21. Juni 2007 00:29
An: MyFaces Discussion
Betreff: Re: [Trinidad] Causing Too many open files error?

I saw this as well using Oracle JDeveloper so I agree that I don't think this is a Tomcat
issue.  I'm not sure what might be causing this though because I shut down my webserver and
restarted it and everything has been working fine since.

What happens when you restart tomcat?

Scott

On 6/20/07, Fleischer Peter < peter.fleischer@munich-airport.de  <mailto:peter.fleischer@munich-airport.de>
> wrote:

Hello,

we are developing a quite simple application based on MyFaces, Trinidad and Facelets. After
deploying this application to a Tomcat 5.5.23 and using the application for a while we are
facing connection errors in Tomcat caused by too many open files.

Checking the running Tomcat process with lsof (list open files) we discovered, that  <application>/WEB-INF/lib/trinidad-
impl-1.0.1-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar was open for about 300 times. The number rises with every
request. At some time eventually a garbage collection closes all these files.

I don't think this is a Tomcat error, because this jar is the only jar file opened so many
times. Perhaps some Trinidad code fails to close a file? Is this a known issue?

Many thanks in advance.

Peter Fleischer

Munich Airport International
Flughafen München GmbH
Peter Fleischer
ITED Competence Center Application Development
Support Division Information Technology
P. O. Box  23 17 55
85326 München
Phone: +49 89 975-3 24 30
Fax: +49 89 975-3 24 06
<mailto: peter.fleischer@munich-airport.de  <mailto:peter.fleischer@munich-airport.de>

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: - Chairman of the Supervisory Board:
Staatsminister Prof. Dr. Kurt Faltlhauser
Geschäftsführung: - Executive Board:
Dr. Michael Kerkloh, Walter Vill und Peter Trautmann
Handelsregister: - Commercial Register: RG München, HR-Nr. B 5448
Sitz der Gesellschaft: - Registered Office: München