myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Bischoff <jbisch...@klkurz.com>
Subject Re: Convert, skip validation and update model?
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:17:33 GMT
Marko Asplund wrote:
> Volker Weber wrote:
>> you want to update invalid values into the model?
>>
>> You can trigger the update in your action:
>>
>> facesContext.getViewRoot().processUpdates();
>>
>> if you realy want this.
>
> Volker,
>
> I'd like processing to always stop in case of conversion errors but
> the user should be able to click on an "update" button which updates
> model values without complaining about missing (required) values. For
> this I would need to be able to skip required validation (not other
> sorts of validation) on a per request basis.
>

> marko

IMHO, the "required" attribute is not a good choice for this use case.
You could move that logic to the backing bean action methods, which
would give you much more flexibility.

I don't see this as a framework issues, since it doesn't seem reasonable
to expect a component marked required to treat it as
"requiredUnlessACertainButtonIsPressed". That logic belongs in your app. :)

Regards,

Jeff Bischoff
Kenneth L Kurz & Associates, Inc.