myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Madhav Bhargava" <Madhav_Bharg...@infosys.com>
Subject breadcrumb design
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:44:00 GMT

Hi All,

I am in the process of creating a component for breadcrumb generation
for my project.

I have following in mind:

1.	Create a custom component for breadcrumb, with a renderer and a
tag class.
2.	Create a model bean that will back this component and will
contain the latest breadcrumb links and their navigation outcomes. This
bean will be at the session level
3.	Create a breadcrumb event and queue that event in the decode
method of the renderer. This event will then be broadcasted to all the
interested listeners. In my case it will be the left menu which will
have to reflect where the user is.

Every page which requires a breadcrumb will have a breadcrumb tag
defined in the page.

There will be a hidden field on every page that will store the depth (or
the index of the last link) of the breadcrumb. Using this value the list
of links in the model will be updated.

Following are some problems that I am currently facing:

1.	There can be many links present all over the place which can
result in the page control going to some page else which means that
there will be a change in the breadcrumb as well. How do you capture
such events and make the breadcrumb change?
2.	How do you take care of the browser back button?

Regards,

Madhav

e-mail system.