myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <simon.kitch...@rhe.co.nz>
Subject Re: Managed-bean vs. Backing-beans
Date Sun, 17 Dec 2006 23:05:55 GMT
Hmm...actually, the spec *does* use the term "backing bean" - but only
in 7 places throughout the whole document.

It looks to me like they use it in the sense of "an object that can be
referenced from an EL expression" - which will usually be a "managed
bean", though it could be any object that has somehow been placed into
the request/session scope.

I guess they can't use the term "managed bean" in this case, because the
referenced object doesn't *have* to be something created via a
<managed-bean> tag, though it usually will be. I'm not sure the term
"backing bean" is really appropriate though. Still, the meaning is
pretty clear in context - though the original poster is right that it is
a little bit slack for a spec to use terms that have not been defined.

[BTW, I really dislike top-posting; I'm only doing it here for consistency]

Regards,

Simon