myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <simon.kitch...@rhe.co.nz>
Subject Re: Custom date component attributes
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:24:32 GMT
Aneesha Govil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am creating a date component with some additional attributes on top of
> t:inputdate. Do I need to add only the new attributes to component tag
> or do I also need to add the attributes already a part of parent
> HtmlInputDate?

You can subclass the original tag class, which means you do not then
need to write java code to handle the original properties.

However in the .tld file there is no way to say that a <tag> element
extends another, so in the .tld file entry you do need to copy-and-paste
all the attribute definitions from the parent tag. Ecch.

Of course if you can use Facelets instead, all this is much nicer; no
tag class or .tld file is required at all.

Note also that it is possible to add new properties to a tag, and use
them in a renderer without writing a new component class at all, as
every component has an attributes map that can store data, effectively
"tunnelling" properties from the tag to the renderer. Sometimes this is
useful, and sometimes it is better to create a new component class.

Regards,

Simon