myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Scott O'Bryan" <darkar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSF seems to be messing up with my CSS positioning
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:59:26 GMT
Stephen,

The unfortunate answer to that is...  Possibly.  JSF tags (depending on
the renderkit of course) will have multiple elements within the tags.
Especially when using facelets, it is like 90% useless to use tags that
simply replace existing HTML tags.  Therefore, the tags you are using
will contain a series of other tags.  Now obviously when a developer
writes these components, they try to "do the right thing" when creating
the component and allow you to append styling.  Styling not only works
different in all browsers, but the interactions of styles (ie one style
inside of another) is also different from browser to browser.

I would suggest possibly posting some examples of how things are not
laid out correctly and maybe someone can give you some ideas or, if the
problem is one of coding, submit a patch to fix the issue.

I do feel your pain, but it is neigh impossible when making a component
to account for all the style combinations which is why, in Trinidad, we
have  skinning system which cuts down on these issues by allowing the
app developer to "skin" the components at a much more granular level.
Maybe something like this will find its way into other renderkits or JSF
some day.

Scott