myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Bischoff <jbisch...@klkurz.com>
Subject Re: page refresh problem
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:59:50 GMT
::SammyRulez:: wrote:
> old school refresh needs JSF page not to be a post-back.
>
> If you can review your navigation
> http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/InvokingJsfPagesWithStandardUrls worked
> well for me.

Yes, take a look.

> p.s: non javascript browser end fancy effects do not match... :-(

I agree here. To implement things like progress bars without being able
to use even simple javascript is a fairly steep requirement. Perhaps
though, if you are creative enough you can solve it...

> 2006/10/17, Madhav Bhargava <Madhav_Bhargava@infosys.com>:
>>

>> Jeff,
>>
>> When the same page is refreshed via a redirect, the state is lost. The
>> top static section of almost all web pages contain drop down component.
>> These are populated via - Collections sitting in application scope or
>> collections sitting in request scope.
>>
>> When a redirect happens, the values in the request scope will not be
>> saved and when the page is refreshed then the drop downs will not have
>> values.

I never said redirect was ideal. Yes it has its complications, but if
you want the URL displayed in the browser to have any real meaning in
JSF, you will need redirect.

There are other scopes besides request scope. Aside from the obvious
session scope, there are in-between options like the new Conversation
tag. See [1]

You have a tough task to implement that progress bar without javascript,
and I fear you won't find an easy solution. The only advice I can give
you is to keep trying to think outside the box and experiment.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/ConversationTag

Regards,

Jeff Bischoff
Kenneth L Kurz & Associates, Inc.