myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Roger Keays <roger.ke...@ninthavenue.com.au>
Subject Re: [OFFTOPIC] What I wish that JSF 2.0 would be like...
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 00:42:14 GMT

One more:

    * New listener for FacesServlet startup/shutdown. Some JSF
extensions may need to do some initial configuration on startup and
shutdown but these extensions can't add a ServletContextListener to
web.xml. ATM you can get similar behaviour by using a PhaseListener and
deregistering it after it is first run, but that is just a workaround
really.

Roger Keays wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Here are a couple of ideas I've jotted down:
>
>   * Native support for conversation scope.
>
>   * Support for partial requests (i.e. AJAX). I imagine this would be
> along the lines of standardising the request and response formats for
> partial requests, and requiring a javascript implementation.
>
>   * Ability to invoke actions on first page request. When you're linked
> from other sites, or from a mail client you can't really expect them to
> send the whole state of the component tree, which would be needed to
> invoke an action from that tree (although this does work). Instead, you
> might be able to create a new action listener type which is invoked when
> the tree it is attached to is created/rendered. Of course, it'd have to
> fit into the lifecycle somehow. A simple use case for this would be a
> "click here to vote for struts" link in an email which should invoke a
> JSF Action{Listener}. Currently you'd probably do this with a
> PhaseListener or ServletFilter.
>
>   * Ability to define converters for annotated classes (e.g. @Entity).
> We can do <converter-for-class>, which also works for interfaces, but
> there are cases where an annotation might indicate that a common
> converter could be used. In the case of @Entity, you might be able to
> use something like EntityManager.getId(entity).toString() to convert the
> class (somebody add getId() to JPA 1.1 please!).
>
>   * Ability to use #{foo} as an lvalue. Maybe more specific to the EL
> spec, but ATM only #{foo.bar} can be used as an lvalue. Sometimes I just
> want to keep a simple string in the session scope and do things like
> <h:inputText value="#{foo}"/>, but instead I have to make a separate
> bean just containing a String.
>
>   * Reinvestigate, as per Jabob's ideas, whether we /really/ need
> component state-saving. I got pretty confused when I wrote a simple
> regexp validator that kept forgetting what the regexp was. It was all
> there in the .xhtml file! That was until I learnt about state-saving
> (which was more than I really wanted to know).
>
>   * Dump JSP, and make facelets standard.
>
> Happy Oktoberfest!
>
> Roger
>

> Martin Marinschek wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Ed Burns, Jesse Alexander and me will be heading a discussion on what
>> our users dreamed JSF 2.0 would be like - on friday, 2006/09/29, in
>> Munich, at the Oktoberfest.
>>
>> So it's a good opportunity for both talking about JSF and drinking
>> beer - probably the best of the world. We'll meet up in:
>>
>> http://www.weisses-brauhaus.de/
>>
>> at 18:00
>>
>> and if you're interested in coming, reply to this mail and I'll
>> include you in the reservation.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Martin

Ninth Avenue Software