myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Andrew Robinson" <andrew.rw.robin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: tree 2 -- lazy loading.
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 20:29:10 GMT
I have a WIKI on how to do lazy loading from an external source (web
service, database, etc.):

http://andrewfacelets.blogspot.com/2006/06/myfaces-tree2-creating-lazy-loading.html

On 9/7/06, Jiang, Jane (NIH/NCI) [C] <jiangja@mail.nih.gov> wrote:
> I've been using the 2nd method of tree2 lazy loading I learned from the wiki page.  I
overwrote the getChildren() method to load in the children.  It works fine.  I am very surprised
that the tree slowed down.

> I tried to track down the problem and found that every time I try to expand one node,
the getChildren() method gets called for all visible nodes.  This behavior defeated half of
the purpose of lazy loading since the sibling nodes actually get loaded right away.  So we
are actually loading one layer at a time, not one node at a time.  To make the matter worse,
if a node has no child nodes after the first round, the super.getChildren().size() == 0 is
always true.  So we repeatly goes to the database and try to find more children for those
nodes.