myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Shinpei Ohtani" <shinpei.oht...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OFFTOPIC] What I wish that JSF 2.0 would be like...
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 00:55:07 GMT
Hi all from Japan,

I love drinking beer, but obviously I can't go there.
So here is my thoughts that should be included JSF 2.0, just some ideas.

-No JSP please.Default view technology should be pure HTML.
 (facelet is not good enough, I suppose.)
-Creating renderer are super painful to customize.
-No xml config. Annotation is better way to config.
 However, for being much better, Convention over Configuration manner
is the way,
 so no config is needed.
 (See Ruby on Rails, and their philosophy.)
-Support Ajax application as default.

I hope some of the ideas are useful.

2006/9/27, Roger Keays <roger.keays@ninthavenue.com.au>:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Here are a couple of ideas I've jotted down:
>
>    * Native support for conversation scope.
>
>    * Support for partial requests (i.e. AJAX). I imagine this would be
> along the lines of standardising the request and response formats for
> partial requests, and requiring a javascript implementation.
>
>    * Ability to invoke actions on first page request. When you're linked
> from other sites, or from a mail client you can't really expect them to
> send the whole state of the component tree, which would be needed to
> invoke an action from that tree (although this does work). Instead, you
> might be able to create a new action listener type which is invoked when
> the tree it is attached to is created/rendered. Of course, it'd have to
> fit into the lifecycle somehow. A simple use case for this would be a
> "click here to vote for struts" link in an email which should invoke a
> JSF Action{Listener}. Currently you'd probably do this with a
> PhaseListener or ServletFilter.
>
>    * Ability to define converters for annotated classes (e.g. @Entity).
> We can do <converter-for-class>, which also works for interfaces, but
> there are cases where an annotation might indicate that a common
> converter could be used. In the case of @Entity, you might be able to
> use something like EntityManager.getId(entity).toString() to convert the
> class (somebody add getId() to JPA 1.1 please!).
>
>    * Ability to use #{foo} as an lvalue. Maybe more specific to the EL
> spec, but ATM only #{foo.bar} can be used as an lvalue. Sometimes I just
> want to keep a simple string in the session scope and do things like
> <h:inputText value="#{foo}"/>, but instead I have to make a separate
> bean just containing a String.
>
>    * Reinvestigate, as per Jabob's ideas, whether we /really/ need
> component state-saving. I got pretty confused when I wrote a simple
> regexp validator that kept forgetting what the regexp was. It was all
> there in the .xhtml file! That was until I learnt about state-saving
> (which was more than I really wanted to know).
>
>    * Dump JSP, and make facelets standard.
>
> Happy Oktoberfest!
>
> Roger
>

> Martin Marinschek wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Ed Burns, Jesse Alexander and me will be heading a discussion on what
> > our users dreamed JSF 2.0 would be like - on friday, 2006/09/29, in
> > Munich, at the Oktoberfest.
> >
> > So it's a good opportunity for both talking about JSF and drinking
> > beer - probably the best of the world. We'll meet up in:
> >
> > http://www.weisses-brauhaus.de/
> >
> > at 18:00
> >
> > and if you're interested in coming, reply to this mail and I'll
> > include you in the reservation.
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Martin
> >

> --
> [...]