myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Jiang, Jane \(NIH/NCI\) [C]" <jian...@mail.nih.gov>
Subject RE: tree 2 -- lazy loading.
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:52:46 GMT
Hi Andrew,

I updated my getChildrenCount() method to avoid loading multiple times.  My tree is much faster
especially when a node is expanded.  Thanks a lot for your help.

I am trying to add AjaxAnywhere now.  I don't have much time left to play with it.  Without
a good understanding of Ajax, I started with downloading your jsfCompAA-0.1.jar file, and
downloaded the ajaxanywhere-1.1.0.6.jar.  I updated the web.xml file and put the aa.js under
the ui root directory.  Then I tried to update my tree.jsp file following the code snippets
on your blogs.  The application was deployed fine, but the tree did not show up.  I could
not find any error messages anywhere.

Did I miss something obvious?  Do you have a complete jsp file example somewhere?  Do I have
to update the backend?

Thanks a lot,

Jane

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Robinson [mailto:andrew.rw.robinson@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 4:47 PM
To: MyFaces Discussion
Subject: Re: tree 2 -- lazy loading.

It is extremely simple to add AjaxAnywhere. there is a small bit of
JavaScript configuration to write that can be done once for all your
pages (you basically setup which form(s) to use with AJAX and also
tell AA if you want to replace the command button action with AJAX or
not). I use AA 1.1.0.6 for stability reasons (had problems with >= 1.2
on facelets).

The code from source forge has an example WAR that has AA working with a tree2.

On 9/7/06, Jiang, Jane (NIH/NCI) [C] <jiangja@mail.nih.gov> wrote:
> I found your blogs very useful.  It looks like I can overwrite the getChildrenCount()
method of my tree node to get around the problems I have.  I never used AJAX.  How complicated
is it to plug in AjaxAnywhere?

> Many thanks for your help,
>
> Jane

page.  I overwrote the getChildren() method to load in the children.  It works fine.  I am
very surprised that the tree slowed down.

> > > I tried to track down the problem and found that every time I try to expand
one node, the getChildren() method gets called for all visible nodes.  This behavior defeated
half of the purpose of lazy loading since the sibling nodes actually get loaded right away.
 So we are actually loading one layer at a time, not one node at a time.  To make the matter
worse, if a node has no child nodes after the first round, the super.getChildren().size()
== 0 is always true.  So we repeatly goes to the database and try to find more children for
those nodes.