myfaces-users mailing list archives

From "Jiang, Jane \(NIH/NCI\) [C]" <jian...@mail.nih.gov>
Subject RE: tree 2 -- lazy loading.
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 20:41:13 GMT
I found your blogs very useful.  It looks like I can overwrite the getChildrenCount() method
of my tree node to get around the problems I have.  I never used AJAX.  How complicated is
it to plug in AjaxAnywhere?

Many thanks for your help,

Jane

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Robinson [mailto:andrew.rw.robinson@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 4:31 PM
To: MyFaces Discussion
Subject: Re: tree 2 -- lazy loading.

FYI:

I also published this code in the jsf-comp project at:

http://sf.net/projects/jsf-comp

It is under the AjaxAnywhere package:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=137466&package_id=197375

On 9/7/06, Andrew Robinson <andrew.rw.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a WIKI on how to do lazy loading from an external source (web
> service, database, etc.):
>
> http://andrewfacelets.blogspot.com/2006/06/myfaces-tree2-creating-lazy-loading.html
>
> On 9/7/06, Jiang, Jane (NIH/NCI) [C] <jiangja@mail.nih.gov> wrote:
> > I've been using the 2nd method of tree2 lazy loading I learned from the wiki page.
 I overwrote the getChildren() method to load in the children.  It works fine.  I am very
surprised that the tree slowed down.

> > I tried to track down the problem and found that every time I try to expand one
node, the getChildren() method gets called for all visible nodes.  This behavior defeated
half of the purpose of lazy loading since the sibling nodes actually get loaded right away.
 So we are actually loading one layer at a time, not one node at a time.  To make the matter
worse, if a node has no child nodes after the first round, the super.getChildren().size()
== 0 is always true.  So we repeatly goes to the database and try to find more children for
those nodes.