myfaces-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Bischoff <jbisch...@klkurz.com>
Subject Re: [OT] JSF and JVM performance
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:32:54 GMT
Well in my initial tests, I did a smaller query first to warm things up.
But it was really only a quick run of each, as I had other things to do.

Unfortunately, this real-world tests may have led me to an erroroneous
conclusion. My further investigations today still did not have the
controls and repetition for definitive results, but they are at least a
little better.

What I did for each was start JBoss, run the test twice, log off and
wait 5 minutes, test twice... repeat...

I did have a couple of poor runs at the beginning, but I now believe
this to be an OS issue(memory paging?), rather than a VM issue (it
occured this time on the client VM).

Here's some of my runs:
(results in seconds)

	Client VM	Server VM

(Load)
Run1	25		22
Run2	17		15
(Pause)
Run3	43		18
Run4	25		13
(Pause)
Run5	18		13
Run6	19		18

Median	20		17
Average	24.5		16.5

The server definately takes longer to display the first JSP page (not
timed), but it doesn't show any disadvantage in the first search. Seems
my original conclusions were misleading, and the server VM may be a bit
faster.

 > Also have you tried running it on the Jrockit JVM? It consistently
 > outscores sunVMs on appserver profiles.

BEA JRockit? Hmm that would be interesting to compare, but I highly
doubt I could convince my boss to use a JVM other than Sun's! ;)

As it stands, performance seems much more acceptable than that
off-the-cuff test indicated.

Thanks for your responses,

Jeff Bischoff
Kenneth L Kurz & Assoc, Inc.